Hi T.

We have created a Remedy form for tracking our changes.  It is a manual
process but once you get use to using it flows pretty well (ALT + TAB is
your friend and ALs that walk the fields on Return).  We relate the changes
to a Change Request and have a Crystal Report that will give us a list of
changes.  I also use this report to create a check list of things to migrate
when moving changes between environments and it serves as our documentation
for the change request.  Relating the change to to the Change Request has
been helpful in versioning because you can see exactly what changed and the
justification for the change.  This could help in future (OOTB) upgrades to
determine if an old customization is still valid in the new version and the
justification for making the change in the first place (maybe the person who
won a political battle for a bad change isn't employee with the company
anymore and the change can be left behind).

One enhancement that I want to make sometime is to tie it into Server Event
to catch changes that were not documented in the form and create exceptions
reports.

This goes along with using the good customization practices that have been
discussed on this list in the past (naming/numbering conventions, disabling
OOTB and creating new, etc).

Jason