Thanks for all the replies guys. I've answered some of your questions....

1. Gary Opela (Corporate)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Is your database local or remote?
>>> Local

2. Garrison, Sean (Norcross)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
If you are on a unix server check the number of open files being used by the
process.  Maybe it has hit the max and locked up your server (why you aren't
seeing anything in the logs).
type in "ulimit -a" to tell you the limits you have
pfiles <process id> to tell the number of open files used by the process.
>>> Thanks Sean, will try this out. currently ulimit says :
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX $ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 256
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 10
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 29995
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

3. Roger Medsker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I have seen this behavior in a situation we had where  AR System was
actually restarting. There is no indication in any of the logs that the
server crashed or was manually stopped. You can detect this by having server
side SQL logging on when this occurs. If you see lots of SQL transactions
with no identified user associated to them, then the server process is
starting up.  This doesn't help identify the root cause but the question
changes from "Why does the server 'hang'?" to "Why is the server
restarting?"

>>> Ok. Thanks Roger. will give that a go next time it hangs... only prob is
it's intermittent and we really can't have SQL logging on all the time....
will figure something out.

4. Tadeu Augusto Dutra Pinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
one question....
how many records does your AR System Email Messages has???

>>> 2,063,253 records... Delete Outgoing Messages is set to "No". Will have
to get that changed! Does this sound like a lot of rows to you?

George