According to pg 125 of the Incident Management User Guide, if the HelpDesk is
ever assigned a ticket, they will always be the owner.  I don’t have the ITIL
knowledge to explain the why.  But give that a read.  Unfortunately the impact
and the difference between Owner and Assigned Group is spread throughout the
document and not it one place, so it’s been a little difficult for me to get a
handle on that.  In case you don’t have the doc, here is the meat.

Understanding incident ownership

Incident ownership is set when the incident is submitted. The incident owner

depends on the support group membership of the person submitting the

incident, as well as the support group being assigned the incident.

For example, consider the following three support groups:

! Support Group A has a support group role of Help Desk. Person A is in

Support Group A.

! Support Group B does not have a support group role of Help Desk; for

example, it might have a support group role of Tier 2. Person B is in

Support Group B.

! Support Group C does not have a support group role of

Based on these support groups, the following example events show how the

incident owner is set:

! Person A submits an incident. Because Person A is a member of a support

group with the role of Help Desk, ownership of the incident is set to

Support Group A, regardless of who is assigned this incident.

! Person B submits an incident and assigns it to Support Group A.

Ownership of the incident is set to Support Group A because the group

has the role of Help Desk.

! Person B submits another incident, and assigns the incident to Support

Group C. Support Group B becomes the owner, because Person B is the

submitter.

Hope that helps!

Brian