From: "Nall, Roger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:22:03 PM
Subject: Re: Virtual Server Name

**
Joe,

I am not sure I follow. Here is what I know about Server Groups:
        * Only one sever can act as the Admin server.
        * Both servers are accessing the same database.
Yes and Yes. Both servers will share the same database but only one of the
servers can act as an admin server which includes the creation or modification
of any workflow.
Here is what I assume if you use the actual Admin server name:
        * All workflow should be developed only on the Admin server.
Yes, but its saved on the database that the other servers share, but the cache
on the other servers will not be updated immediatly. The other servers will
however get a signal to recache from the primary admin server. You can set the
time interval that is used for this signal to propogate using the server group
interval
        * Any creation/modification of workflow on the non-admin server should
fail.
Yes. I do not have the exact error that you get but it will clearly indicate
that this is not an admin server instance that you are connected to.
        * The server reference in the workflow will be the actual server name
of the Admin server.
No. Actual names are no longer stored in the database. The current server is
represented by @ when workflow saves the information to the DB. Its only if you
are doing something to a remote AR Server that the workflow will save the
actual name of the server in the worlfow.
        * If the Admin server fails and another server is promoted to the admin
server and creation/modification of work flow will have the server reference of
the new admin server thus creating a condition of have different server
references in different pieces of work flow.
No - for reasons explained above...
Here is what I assume of you use the Virtual server name:
        * All servers in the group will have the same Virtual server alias.
For the purpose of connecting - Yes..
        * All workflow created/modified will have the same server reference
regardless of which server was the Admin server.
No. Local server is represented in the database as @ in all workflow objects
including table fields. The server name is hardcoded only in case of a remote
server

Of course I have not worked with Server Groups so I am only speculating. I
would think if a user is logged into the non-admin server and performed some
ort of action that required admin functionality that request would be passed to
the Admin server for processing. I am basing all of this on my own experience.
I maintain two servers that access the same database, one active and one
passive. I have the Virtual server name referenced as the alias of both
servers. No matter which server is active I can create/modify workflow and the
only the Virtual server will be referenced.

Thanks,

Roger A. Nall
Manager, OSSNMS Remedy
T-Mobile USA