We've had this problem for years--not only will it suddenly fail to
connect to MAPI, we have instances where the service just hangs.  It
happened on v6 and currently happens on 7.0.1P5 as well (as you noted).

I finally created an SSIS package that runs every 15 minutes and looks
at the Email Messages form to determine if there are any emails that
were created more than 10 minutes previous (should normally not be any
since we poll every minute and it has no problem keeping up).  When
found, it cycles the Email Engine service.  Since the new version of the
Email Engine sets all messages to "Error" now when it loses connection
(by design according to BMC), this package resets all "Error" back to
"Yes" before restarting the service and increments an attempts counter
on each message (used an existing counter field in the form).

The package sets the "Send Message" flag to "No" for any messages that
fail to be sent after three attempts (due to real errors like bad email
address, etc) so they do not build up and cause the service to restart
needlessly.  I also check for messages older than 45 minutes and if
found, send an email alert to the administrators to check the service
and email form.  (Service may suddenly be failing to start due to a
password change, etc).

Since implementing this, we've no longer had to baby-sit the service.

Craig Carter
Software Engineer, RSP