  _____

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Cook
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:29 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: BBQ Trip - Results

**

Well, it was a great week.  Spent lots of quality time with my son, drove a
nice rental Mustang, had a few surprise stops, and ate lots of BBQ.

Trivia question after reading this - how much weight did Rick gain over the
week?

We started in Dallas, drove North to Kansas City, then down to Memphis,
through Tennessee and North Carolina, down the Atlantic coast to Charleston,
SC, then through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana before
returning to Dallas for the trip home.  We went to some famous places, some
that you and others recommended, some the Garmin GPS told us about, and a
few we just happened to drive past.  Almost without exception, we had at
least good, and in a few cases, great, food.

Here's where we ate:

*       Dallas, TX:  Baby Back Shak, Sonny Bryan's, and Dan's Smokehouse.
*       McAlester, OK:  Ball's Hickory BBQ
*       Kansas City, Mo:  Arthur Bryant's
*       St. Louis, Mo:  Smokin' Al's BBQ
*       Memphis, TN: Interstate BBQ
*       Asheville, NC: 12 Bones
*       Greensboro, NC: Stamey's
*       Charleston, SC:  Melvin's
*       Beaufort, SC:  Sgt. White's
*       West Point, GA: Roger's Pit Cooked BBQ
*       Tuscaloosa, AL:  Dreamland BBQ
*       Shreveport, LA:  Grady's Smokehouse

Here is the "Best Of" list.  After the "Worst Of", which will be a short
one.  Stamey's in Greensboro, NC was the only place that gave us no reason
to come back.  Marginal food, poor service, no atmosphere.  It alone scored
a 4 (1 to 10 scale), the only score lower than a 6 on the trip.

Now the "Best Of", which I am happier to recall.

Best Pork Ribs:  3 way tie.  Arthur Bryant's in KC, Melvin's in Charleston,
and Sonny Bryan's in Dallas.  All scored a 9 for tenderness and flavor.

Best Beef Ribs:  Baby Back Shak, Dallas.  Dry rub made them amazing.  Tender
meat and good flavor helped, too.  They alone scored a 10.

Best Brisket:  Dan's Smokehouse, Dallas.  Most briskets were kinda tough,
though lean, and not very flavorful.  This one had amazing flavor, was
tender enough to cut with a plastic fork, and worked just as well with and
without their sauce.  It also rated the only 10.

Best Pork:  Melvin's, Charleston, SC.  They use a Mustard-based sauce that
they mixed into their pork (not on top), and it totally worked.  I wanted to
be able to rate the pork without the sauce, but that was impossible.  We
couldn't get enough of this sweet stuff.  The only 10 in this category.
Runnerup was Arthur Bryant's, with an 8.

Best Chicken:  Melvin's deserved consideration, but no one beat Dreamland in
Tuscaloosa, AL.  Was so good it didn't even need their amazing sauce - just
the light rub on it made it perfect.

Best Specialty Meat:  The Burnt Ends at Arthur Bryant's.  Absolutely
amazing.  Worth making a trip there for.  Interstate BBQ (Memphis) had a BBQ
Spaghetti that I thought was awesome, too.

Best Sauce:  Dreamland.  Arthur Bryant's and Sonny Bryan's were very, very
good, none could top the sauce that we felt guilty NOT licking off our
fingers.  It felt like a sin to use a napkin (seriously!).  It worked on all
of their meats equally well - even made plain white bread taste great!  The
easiest 10 we gave the whole trip.

Best Side Dish:  Dreamland's BBQ beans.  Amazing mix of sweet, smoky, and
spicy, with some meat and onions in there, too.

Best Dessert:  Dreamland.  Both their signature banana pudding and the Apple
cobbler were an awesome end to an awesome meal.

Best Service:  Tied, both with 10s.  Dreamland, and Smokin' Al's, in St.
Louis.

Best Atmosphere:  Sonny Bryan's, Dallas.  The only 10 in the group, but
several others scored very high, too.  12 Bones actually had a new/old mix
that was very different - RC cola and microbrews, Old South dishes with
stickers on the walls like an all-night diner.  It is as if a diner in a
trendy big city neighborhood decided to do BBQ.

And now, for the Best of show:  A tie between Dreamland and Melvin's.  Both
scored 9.  I'll give the nod to Dreamland for winning more individual
categories.

Thanks so much for all of your recommendations.  We could only hit a few of
them in a week.

Answer to the trivia question:  I actually LOST 1 lb.

Rick

html___