I honestly got the "second BMC Software Customer Support Notice" for
"Action Request System 7.1.00 Patch 004." and did not even read it
closely enough to see this...

The first one said this:
"
Announces the release of BMC Remedy Action Request System 7.1.00 Patch 004.
"

The second one said this:
"
Announces the release of a revised BMC Remedy Action Request System
7.1.00 Patch 004.
"

Notice that little phrase *a revised* in there? I did not when I read
it. ( GRRRR )

They changed the URL to the "Technical Bulletin"
(http://documents.bmc.com/supportu/documents/38/70/93870/93870.pdf vs
http://documents.bmc.com/supportu/documents/41/39/94139/94139.pdf )
and failed to update the *DATE* in the file. (both say "July 31, 2008"
in the header of the doc.)

FWIW: The *new* "Technical Bulletin" says this:

"
BMC Software is alerting users of the BMC Remedy Action Request System
version 7.1.00 product to the availability of an update to patch 004
(Server component only), which fixes the following issue:

Issue: SW00302590
users after patch 004 was installed.
"

How on earth did that bug make it out of QA?
Who on earth thinks it is a good idea to *reuse* a patch number?
( It would be great if someone could explain the official position on
such practices. )

Grumble... Grumble... Time to go find that rpatches password again so
I can go FTP a _new_ patch. ( Fortunately I have not yet applied the
"bad patch 4" anywere, but I was getting ready to.... )

Oh.. and the MidTier_ReadMe.doc (on the FTP site) has a date that is
newer than the date when I downloaded it too. I wonder if it is ONLY
the server that is affected or it the Mid-Tier needs re-patched too?
MS Word suggests that the docs are mostly the same. ( There were a few
updates to the descriptions of the bugs that were fixed.) GRRRRRR.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach