It works!  Thanks!

--- On Tue, 9/9/08, Grooms, Frederick W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: Grooms, Frederick W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: run process activelink on midtier
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 9:32 AM

**
Since you didn't tell us what version Remedy, I'll describe it in general terms
for 6.3 and above (With version 7.1.0 you can use the new Service filters and
may not need a separate form).  Again this is off the top of my head...

Create a new form to hold the server commands.  Put at least 2 fields on it:
"Command" and "Result" (Result should be a 0 length text field, Command should
be large enough to hold the command string).  I also change the status to be
New, In Process, Completed, Delete.  Form should NOT be visible to normal users
(have Hidden permissions).

Create a Filter on the new form on Submit and Modify that fires if Status = In
Process.  The Filter's actions will be:
Set Fields 1:  Set Result = $PROCESS$ $Command$
Set Fields 2:  Set Status = Completed

Your button Active Link would then do the following:
Push:  To server commands form
           Status = In Process
           Command = "PING " + $Machine Name+$
Set Fields from server commands form where Request ID = $LASTID$
            Set some large Display Only field = Result
Display the Result to the user (either a message or show the user the Display
Only field)

You can then have the Active Link delete the server commands record or an
escalation go thru all completed records (probably more than 1 hour old) and
delete them.

Fred