I would suggest you forget about parsing the string.  The delimitter
is a space, and a space can be a character in one of the values.  What
this means is that once the data is in the field, you can not reliably
get it back out of the field.

Consider you have the following groups (please excuse the strange
names, they are to demonstrate a point):
"1 2"
"2 3"
"3 4"
"1"
"2"
"3"
"4"

So lets say you put the following groups into the assignee group field:
1, 2, 3, 4

Which looks like this:
1 2 3 4

How do you effectively parse that value into the proper groups?  You
could get any of the following depending on how you parse it:
1, 2, 3, 4
1 2, 3 4
1, 2 3, 4
1, 2, 3 4
1 2, 3 4

Good luck and may your hair stay attached to your head with the
problems you will encounter using this approach.

Axton Grams