Norm:

You'll have to pardon me because I'm not an actual Remedy developer, but I do
work with our Remedy system every day as a tester, so while I can't give you an
answer in nice Remedy developerese (and I may in fact say something completely
nonsensical), I hope I can make enough sense for you to understand what I mean.

I realize you've gotten an answer for your immediate question of excluding the
Diary field from the Advanced Search Bar, but if you still want to know how we
handle diary searches, we have separate forms on the same server for querying
ticket data.  There are some queries our users can't currently run and would
like to (such as "how many tickets exist in the system for asset XYZ") and some
fields that are difficult to extract data from on our existing form (of which
Worklog is one) and so we send the Worklog entries to a separate diary field
(I'm not 100% certain if that's the right control type, but I think it is)
called Worklog for Reporting (WL4R) each time the Worklog gets updated.  Then
we let folks query the WL4R via this other form when they want to run a search
or create a report, and we also limit who can access the searchable/queryable
form to people with some sort of leadership role on a team, such as a Tech
Lead, Team Lead, or Ops Lead.

We have a new form in the works that references data by its SQL name that will
allow some very cool data to be extracted compared to what our users can
currently get (such as the previously mentioned "how many tickets exist in the
system for asset XYZ") but we haven't pushed that to Production yet.

So, if your users start screaming now that you've nixed their ability to search
the Worklog and you're of a mind to figure out an alternate way to let them do
that, that's how we do it.  And speaking as a former tech in the field and user
of our Remedy system, I can vouch that when I saw a problem I knew I'd seen
before but had forgotten which customer had it or when I worked on it, my first
thought was something along the lines of, "Gee, this is that goofy Outlook
problem involving recurring appointments...now how did I resolve that last
time?" And if guys like you give the average tech in the field the ability to
search the place they entered the detail about the problem and its solution for
a term like "recurring appointment" and get a hit that lets them quickly and
easily get back to the end user with a solution, that makes the tech a hero in
the end user's eyes and you a hero in the tech's.  So everybody wins.

For whatever that's worth... ;]

Natalie Stroud
Remedy/ESS Tester
Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC),
  contractor to Sandia National Labs
Albuquerque, NM
(505)844-7983
Remedy 7.1 Patch 003