The white paper is just about useless. It provides the base code for a dll that
the v7+ user tool will check for when it's opening. The dll base code supplies
a static username, password, and preference server/port/rpc. If you're not a
programmer, you'll need to hire one to build an application that the dll can
call, collect or generate login credentials, and then supply that information
to the user tool. (BMC will not provide any support for this. All they will
give you is the base code that will let your programmer know what values to
provide for authentication.) The major problem with the dll is that it still
requires a username and password. Your external application will need to pull
or build that information then supply it to the system. If you're using the
mid-tier too, you'll need to build a solution that works to retrieve login
credentials from both clients. The downside to the dll is security. There's no
way to force the use of the dll. It's
 simply a file that resides on the client machine. If you delete it, you'll get
the regular login prompt. If anybody reverse engineers the dll and identifies
how you're retrieving/building the login credentials, they can then log in as
anybody. Anybody accept admins. Admins will still need to login manually. The
dll doesn't work for the Admin tool. The dll doesn't work well with the alert
tool either. It'll login, but in the 7.0 version(haven't tried with 7.1) it
would prompt you for a username when trying to open any alerts unless an
instance of the usertool is already running.

There is a working group comprised of BMC and DOD Remedy Developers, etc...
that are working on a solution. However, I haven't heard from them in quite
some time so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Jason Bess
Bess Development Corp