Thanks Joe,

>From my conversation with some internal DBA's and I think the winner is
Oracle 10g due to the superior Replication features.

Thank you so much.

________________________________

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Joe DeSouza
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:04 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Oracle 10g vs. SQL 2005 for supporting ITSM 7.1

**
John,

While neither of the databases are 'bad' each has its own advantages or
disadvantages. The biggest advantage of using MS-SQL is that if you do
not have a dedicated DBA, most administration tasks on MS-SQL are doable
by a non DBA with some knowledge of how it all works. Also by default
the database is not case sensitive which makes searching a little more
easier than it is on Oracle that has to be set up as case insensitive.

Oracle on the other hand has powerful DBA tools that usually an expert
level DBA can take advantage of. The administration tools available with
Oracle in my opinion are way more powerful than those available with
MS-SQL. So it is definitely the choice of a DB for a bigger shop that
would expect its database to grow up to be ginormous over a few
months/years.

At the end of the day look at your available resources and what your
company is willing to invest to take care of that database. If you do
not have Oracle DBA's is your organization willing to spend that extra
80 to 120K a year for one? You definitely do not want Oracle if you do
not have a qualified DBA on site. You can sort of get away with MS-SQL
without one.

Joe