We have the virtual servers in the computer system class, just like physical
servers. To identify whether it is a physical server or a virtual server, we
use the product name and the manufacturer. For instance, for VMWare, the
manufacturer is "VMWare Inc", and the product name is "VMWare Virtual
Platform". We could have created a new attribute, a radio button, to specify
physical or virtual server, but in the end, we felt it was not needed because
the manufacturer and the product name are sufficient to distinguish the type of
server.

The advantage of having physical and virtual servers in the computer system
class is ease of use: you don't have to know in advance whether it is a
physical or virtual server when querying the entries. This is solution is very
usable and keeps things simple.

If you use the virtual system class to store the virtual servers and the
computer system class to store the physical servers, then this means that the
user (system administrator, DBA, app developer, etc) would need to know to
query the virtual system class for virtual servers and the computer system
class for physical servers... not very usable, they probably will not like that.

The relationship of the virtual server to the physical server is desirable to
have. In both scenarios (VM in virtual system class or computer system class),
you can create a relationship to the parent physical server computer system
entry. So no impediment there either way.

As background information, in the CMDB 1.x, when the user queried the entries
for a class, with an unqualified search, the entries for subclasses were also
displayed. This changed in CMDB 2.x: if you query a class, you will not see the
entries for the sub-classes. The Virtual System class is a sub-class of
computer system, so you have to query that form/class specifically to display
the entries. All this is "thanks" to the new class stub OBJSTR:CatClassStub. I
guess BMC considered the CMDB 1.x behavior a bug, or at least unexpected
behavior, which in a sense it was. However, it also makes the new structure a
bit less usable in a way.

-Guillaume Rheault