From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) on behalf of Terry Bootsma
Sent: Mon 01/19/09 7:41 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Accounting for Virtual Servers in the CMDB

RE: Accounting for Virtual Servers in the CMDBI agree with Guillaume's
approach on storing both the physical and virtual servers in the same place.
It makes searching/finding configuration items a lot easier for someone who
is using Incident or Change Management when they are stored in the same
class, not to mention Configuration Management.

However, something to consider, by using a different 'Product Name' (like
Guillaume suggests), the Incident/Change user has to know the product name
when searching from the Incident/Change window in the 'Product Name' field
to autopopulate fields on the Classification tab. (such as Product
categorization, make/model and version)  So, if they know that it is a
virtual server, they would need to specify "VMWARE Virtual Platform" to
search the full list of virtual servers from the Incident Management window
(where the user should be relating the incident to the CI).  I don't know if
this is very practical from an Incident/Change perspective.    For this
reason, I tend to use more logical product names and differentiate
physical/virtual servers either in Categorization of the server or via
special attributes added to the class.

This is one of the pitfalls I commonly see where the Product Name
definitions suit the needs of the CMDB, but do not make it practical from an
Incident and Change Management perspective.  If you are unsure of what I am
talking about, Open an Incident Management window, go to the classification
tab, and type a product name in the product name field and hit <CR>.   See
what the CMDB returns in the resultant window.

Good luck.

Terry