Hello Listers;

Hopefully this post finds you well - Thanks in advance for feedback...

I have written several ARS 7.x Java API based utilities, which all run just
fine - and this weekend when I was doing the documentation for them - in the
"Security Section" - I obviously mentioned all the normal "Remedy Security"
topics (group permissions, etc)...

Then I got stuck on the "Login ID / Password" security issue. So I figured -
someone else must-a already been down this path - so I googled (and googled
and googled) but found very little with some 'concrete answers' so to say.

So as I see it there are a few - somewhat limited options - in this area:

ZERO Security -
   Hard-Code the ID / PW in the API (YUCK - not maintainable, single server
setup, etc)
   Accept ID / PW over command line (At least the script can maintain the ID
/ PW, allows for reuse over different servers)

LIMITED Security
   Tuck the ID / PW into a simple text file which the OS PERMISSIONS will
restrict - however ID / PW is in clear text

SOMEWHAT More Security
   Create a utility to encrypt the ID / PW into a file - which then is under
OS PERMISSIONS - that the application can pick up and decode

So, I'd like to hear how other people have dealt with this "ID / PW"
Security topic in the past, etc.

Thanks-n-advance;
Robert Molenda