You are right in that you can do it all in one job and if this suits your
business then this would be the way to go. It's the way that the
out-of-the-box rules for BMC discovery tools work.

However, using a staging dataset is still in BMCs best practice
recommendations - see the Concepts & Best Practices Guide for CMDB 2.1
Page 87. The paragraph says:

"Instead of merging multiple discovery sources directly into your production
dataset, merge them into a “consolidated discovery” dataset first. You can
compare this against your production dataset and use the results to generate
change requests or exception reports for any discrepancies."

For flexibility in the future I would always implement a staging dataset
unless there was a compelling reason not to.

Cheers

Peter