Hi Brian-
I don't have the 7.1 login JSP in front of me, but do make sure you are commenting out the entire HTML table row (<tr> to </tr> tags) versus just the table cells (td tags). Otherwise you will have malformed HTML that could cause problems with some scripts, such as setting focus.

-Kelly

Kelly Heikkila
:coderow
612-216-0028