The API's are mostly proprietary and owned by BMC. There are also dll's for
Unicode, XML and XSLT (ICU, Xerces and Xalan) included in the API which fall
under a different license. This is all explained here:
http://arswiki.org/wiki/Remedy_API_Downloads

So the API is not open source, but parts of it are. Axton received an OK
from Doug Mueller, CTO of BMC Software, to host them on ARSwiki though.

I'm not a lawyer, but if you are using 7.1 server and have a support
contract, I guess you will be allowed to use the 7.5 java libraries if you'd
want to do API programming.
API docs are part of the 7.5 java distribution.

HTH,
--
Michiel Beijen
Software Consultant