Another idea.  One of the users of our ActionProgram Manager has the following
bug tracking process for bug reports from users.  They said:
1. Bug reports from users come into the help desk application.
2. Because they are bug reports, they are assigned to the Change Control Board.
3. The Change Control Board looks at it and decides if it is a change or a
project.
If it's a project, use the Bug Fix Project Plan template to spawn the project
record and all the tasks in the template.
4. The last task is "Implement the fix" and that's done in Operations, so when
they come to that task, use workflow to create a change request, and use
workflow to notify the person in Operations that there is a new change request.
5. The person in Operations implements the fix and closes the change request.
When they do, use workflow to a) close the last task in the project, b) close
the project record since all of the tasks are completed (standard in
ActionProgram Manager anyway), c) close the original help desk ticket, and d)
notify the user that the bug has been fixed.

Very cool.

When you think about the thread last week about incorporating an SDLC and
release management, that's another variation of this same concept:  the idea of
incorporating program management functionality into your workflow processes.
Our users tell us that this is one of the big benefits of using a Remedy-based
program management system.

Stan.
w. 310-230-1722.
www.pri-us.com