Guys,

Wondering if you can help me out.

We've got an issue with the Plug-in server running within a high available
environment of Remedy (2 Midtiers, 2 AR Servers, 2 DB Servers) with each
tier separated by a firewall.   There is one load balancer in front of the
midtier servers and another in front of the AR Servers.   So, basically the
AR Servers are running within a Server Group.

When we try to open up a Remedy form, such as the "Server Information" form,
we get an error saying :

ARERR [8939] The AR System Plug-In server is not responding. Cannot connect
to the system at this time. Contact your AR System Administrator for
assistance. : RPC: Timed out

Currently the only port that is load balanced is the TCP port that the users
access the AR Servers by.

Should we also need to load balance the Plug-In port? (9000)?

All help is appreciated.

Below are some emails I've dug up just from searching the web...

Thanks.

George

====================================================================================================

Re: RPC: Unable to receive

Tony Worthington
Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:27:16 -0700

You probably need to review the BMC documents about plugins behind a VIP
or firewall without a portmapper.  "Using a Hardware Load Balancer with
BMC Remedy Action Request System 7.0" page 9, and others that I can't find
at the moment.

Here's an example of some lines from one of our ar.conf's (this one from a
server group, but relevant since we don't use portmapper either)

Plugin-Port: 9000
Register-With-Portmapper: F
TCD-Specific-Port: 8639
Server-Plugin-Alias: ARSYS.ARDBC.CONFIGFILE ARSYS.ARDBC.CONFIGFILE
ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: ARSYS.ARDBC.LDAP ARSYS.ARDBC.LDAP ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: ARSYS.ARDBC.PREVIEW ARSYS.ARDBC.PREVIEW ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: ARSYS.AREA.LDAP ARSYS.AREA.LDAP ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: ARSYS.ARF.WEBSERVICE ARSYS.ARF.WEBSERVICE
ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: BMC.ARF.CMDBCONSOLE BMC.ARF.CMDBCONSOLE ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: REMEDY.ARDBC.APPQUERY REMEDY.ARDBC.APPQUERY
ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: REMEDY.ARDBC.FLASHBOARD.FORM
REMEDY.ARDBC.FLASHBOARD.FORM ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: REMEDY.ARDBC.SERVER.ADMINISTRATION
REMEDY.ARDBC.SERVER.ADMINISTRATION ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: REMEDY.ARF.CAI REMEDY.ARF.CAI ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: REMEDY.ARF.CBDATA REMEDY.ARF.CBDATA ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: REMEDY.ARF.OMFOBJIE REMEDY.ARF.OMFOBJIE ksms562:9000
Server-Plugin-Alias: REMEDY.ARF.SLASETUP REMEDY.ARF.SLASETUP ksms562:9000

You may not need the alias lines, but you certainly need the Plugin-Port.

hth,
tony

--
Tony Worthington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mike Chepaykin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
08/06/2007 10:12 AM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
RPC: Unable to receive

Hello listers.

ARERR [8760] Cannot establish a network connection to the AR System
Plug-In server : bmcstage : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Unable to receive

This is what I got in RUT when I move my ARS server behind the firewall,
uncheck "Register with portmapper", assign static TCP port and shutdown
remedy portmapper service. And restart my windows box of course - a shut
in a head 8).

This error appears only in Problem Management Console on window open.
Other consoles - incident, asset, cmdb -
appear without any errors.

No errors in arerror, armonitor, arplugin logs and no errors on client
side logs too.

When I change environment back (no firewall restrictions at all) and move
to portmapper - everything is fine again.

Why (and which?) plugin try to register himself in portmapper? Or maybe
the cause is something else?

windows2003, mssql2000, ars7.0.1p2, ITSM 7.0.2

--
Mike Chepaykin