we will have our code on the remedy developer site next week, mike

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:20:12 -0500
From: david_eas...@bmc.com
Subject: Re: Does CMDB 7.5.00 support Tomcat 5.5 ?
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

**
I spoke with the Atrium team and here's the answer:

Atrium Core will support the use of Tomcat 5.5 for all functions within Atrium
Core except the Atrium Registry. Customers not using the Atrium Registry can
install and use Tomcat 5.5, and this configuration will be fully supported by
BMC.

Because there was one component that did not support Tomcat 5.5, the Atrium
team included version 6.0 in their installation of the Atrium Registry.  Page
30 of the install guide does cover the situation where you've installed both
the Mid-Tier and the Atrium Registry on the same system:

"Deployment on one computer with all features installed
Installation of all BMC Atrium Core features on a single computer is
recommended for use only in non-production, proof of concept, or small
development environments.
[...]

Note: The BMC Remedy Mid Tier installation includes Tomcat 5.5. The BMC Atrium
Web Services Registry installation includes Tomcat 6.0. In this scenario, the
computer will run both versions of Tomcat."
So, in summary:

1. If you're not loading the Atrium Registry, you can use Tomcat 5.5 for
everything on the same box and load it as part of the AR System Mid-Tier
installation.
2. If you do load the Atrium Registry on the same box, you can install and run
two instances - Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6.0 - with the Tomcat 6.0 being used just
for the Atrium Registry
2a. The second option if you want to load the Atrium Registry and run them both
on the same box is to load Tomcat 6.0 first, then load the Mid-Tier and then
Atrium Core without choosing to install Tomcat from the BMC installer.
3. If you run the Atrium Registry on a separate box, which is recommended for
production environments, then the two Tomcat installations will be separate and
thus they won't conflict.

Rick,

  We did consider your point - and it was a coin flip of who we wanted to
inconvenience.  Had we included Tomcat 6.0 in the AR System installation, then
customers wanting to use Tomcat 5.5 would have to make sure they installed 5.5
ahead of time and didn't choose to install Tomcat 6.0.  As it is, customers who
want to run Tomcat 6.0 need to make sure to install ahead of time (or upgrade
post-install if they accidentally choose the option to install 5.5).  Since
folks are more used to a concept of upgrading vs. downgrading, we went with the
minimum version instead of the maximum version.  At the end of the day, there's
no choice (if you have to choose only to provide one version or the other) that
really addresses both camps.  As we look to future releases, our hope is that
more folks will be willing to move to Tomcat 6.0 and thus we could consider
including it as the default and perhaps dropping support for 5.5 altogether.

-David J. Easter
Sr. Product Manager, Solution Strategy and Development
BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in this
E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My voluntary
participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a spokesperson,
liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software, Inc.