From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Axton
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:38 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Test System to Production System, Would Ghost Image work ? what is
BMC recommendation?

** I believe this can still be an issue even in later versions depending on how
the server is configured.  Say the hostname of the arserver host is remedy1, it
has ip address 10.1.1.1 and the following dns aliases:
remedy
remedy.company.com<http://remedy.company.com>
ars
ars.company.com<http://ars.company.com>

Let's say the Server-Name parameter in ar.conf has a value of remedy1.

If you connect using the admin tool to the arserver with a hostname of remedy,
that name will be embedded in the workflow unless you have configured the
proper IP-Name parameters in ar.conf.  The valid IP-Name parameters would be
any hostname with which arserver can be accessed, so you would want the
following lines in ar.conf:

IP-Name: remedy
IP-Name: remedy.company.com<http://remedy.company.com>
IP-Name: ars
IP-Name: ars.company.com<http://ars.company.com>

This problem is more common with arsystem configurations where multiple
arservers are in use.  Take the following example:

hostname for arserver1: remedy01 (10.0.0.1)
hostname for arserver2: remedy02 (10.0.0.2)
hostname for arserver3: remedy03 (10.0.0.3)

hostname for load balancer: remedy (10.1.0.1)
Aliases/other names for load balancer: arsystem,
arsystem.company.com<http://arsystem.company.com>
Aliases/other names for remedy01: arsvr01,
arsvr01.company.com<http://arsvr01.company.com>,
remedy01.company.com<http://remedy01.company.com>
Aliases/other names for remedy02: arsvr02,
arsvr02.company.com<http://arsvr02.company.com>,
remedy02.company.com<http://remedy02.company.com>
Aliases/other names for remedy03: arsvr03,
arsvr03.company.com<http://arsvr03.company.com>,
remedy03.company.com<http://remedy03.company.com>

You could now potentially access each arserver using several names (strings).
The ar.conf (IP-Name parameters) needs to be different on each arserver.

The IP-Name parameter seems to be used to parse the workflow when committing
workflow to the db; it is used to strip server name references and replace them
with the desired @ symbol (global local server reference).  If no match is
found to Server-Name or IP-Name, the workflow will think the reference is to
and external ARServer and store the actual name of the server in the workflow
when written to the db.

Axton Grams

These are my opinions and observations.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Shellman,
David<dave.shell...@tycoelectronics.com<mailto:dave.shell...@tycoelectronics.com>>