From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Lyle Taylor
Sent: Friday, 7 August 2009 7:20 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: How to verify if apache and tomcat are running?

**

The fact that you're getting that error means that Apache is up and
running.  If Apache were down, your web browser would essentially tell
you that it can't connect to the server or can't display the page (in
the case of IE).  This error means that Apache is trying to pass the
request on to the Tomcat server and is failing.  It may be that Tomcat
is down.

I usually verify that they are running by checking for the processes
using the ps command.  A quick easy way to tell if Apache is up is to
look for the httpd process by running the following command at the shell
prompt:

ps -ef | grep httpd

If Apache is running, you should see multiple lines returned similar to
this:

root     23773     1  0 Jul31 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache/bin/httpd -k
start

nobody    6509 23773  0 04:15 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache/bin/httpd -k
start

nobody    6510 23773  0 04:15 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache/bin/httpd -k
start

nobody    6511 23773  0 04:15 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache/bin/httpd -k
start

nobody    6512 23773  0 04:15 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache/bin/httpd -k
start

nobody    6513 23773  0 04:15 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache/bin/httpd -k
start

user     19396 19247  0 17:18 pts/0    00:00:00 grep httpd

Note the line highlighted in red - that's the process running the grep
command.  Ignore that line.

If you see no lines returned (or just one that lists the grep command),
then Apache is not running.  Tomcat is a little more tricky, because
it's a Java process.  I check for it by running the following command:

ps -ef | grep java

You should get back at least one line similar to the following:

root     14160     1  0 Jul31 ?        00:02:28
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_14/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true
-Dsun.java2d.fontpath=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_14/jre/lib/fonts
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/ar/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/conf/loggin
g.properties
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/ar/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/common/endorsed
-classpath
:/usr/ar/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/ar/apache-tomcat-5.
5.17/bin/commons-logging-api.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/usr/ar/apache-tomcat-5.5.17
-Dcatalina.home=/usr/ar/apache-tomcat-5.5.17
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/ar/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

Note the sections highlighted in red.  You can tell by looking at the
options listed that this is for Tomcat.  If you don't see that, then
it's not running.

Hope that helps a bit.

Lyle