Axton,
I'm working in a very restricted environment with no root access and no ability
to become the user tomcat runs as.

So, I am planning to deploy midtier as a service a/c I have access to, which is
different from the a/c tomcat runs as, and then have the right people modify
files beyond midtier install directory.

It's not very clear from the documentation what those updates are that need to
be made to non-midtier areas in the system. I know about httpd.conf. They don't
tell you how to update this file, but based on the unsintall part of the guide,
I have a paragraph I am planning to have added to it.

Besides, as you mentioned, I need to worry about my use of service a/c and
whether tomcat will have any issue with it.

I can ask to have midtier be deployed as the user tomcat runs as, but unless
there is no other way, I don't want to go there.