Create a display only field that with your menu attached to it.
Take the menu off of the character field and make that field read only on
submit and modify.
Take your new display only field with the menu and place it behind (under)
the character field so that only the menu button portion shows.
Create work flow (active links) that fire when a user picks a menu item that
appends the item to the read only character field.
Might need work flow to allow user to clear what is in the character field.