The $PROCESS$ call in an Active Link did work.  I used field ID 102, and I
think it works by comparing the field referenced in the call to the current
user's cached password.  It might also work with a regular character field,
as I also suspect that the API takes care of the encryption/decryption.
This is for all versions since they changed the encryption model, which I
think was in 6.0.

Do know that the documentation in 7.0 is incorrect - it says to reference
the field by ID, but you must use field NAME (i.e. $Password$).

I put a second Active Link on Return in the field to either set a flag if
the password is validated or an error message if it isn't.  Works like a
charm!

Rick