From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:14 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Displaying open requests for Customers and SRM Documentation

I was asked if there is any way a customer can see all of their open requests
(meaning Incidents), or open requests for their department in "Remedy" -
something I used to give them in Remedy Help Desk 4 and 5.5 using ARSPerl.  In
our implementation of ITSM 7.0 customers have NO ACCESS AT ALL to ITSM (and the
Requester Console is disabled), as they are restricted to the Kinetic Request
interface - which definitely has no provision whatsoever for showing customers
a table or list of their open incidents in ITSM.  That shortcoming is one we
keep tripping over, everywhere we try to provide request services to ITSM using
Kinetic SR.

Is there such a capability in SRM?  We don't have access to it - have not
looked at it since it was about to go into beta and the pricing scheme was
announced.  The SRM 7.6 User Guide off the BMC Supportweb contains no screen
shots, so it is completely worthless in terms of seeing what views of the data
you might have when using the application.  The docs mention a "Business
Manager Console," but again, without any screen shots I have no idea what they
are talking about.  Who is it for, and what does it show?

Assuming that SRM is no better than Kinetic SR at showing customers what they
have open for them in ITSM, or showing someone like the head of HR all of the
tickets opened for or by people from his/her department, how are any of you
displaying that sort of thing for customers who are NOT support staff and
basically have no permission to access ITSM?  In our multi-tenancy setup, the
support staff and the customers are not in the same company anyway; support
staff have access to the customer company.

BTW, the reason we don't give customers any access to ITSM at all is that when
we first tested it, any requester that clicked on the URL they were sent OOTB
for their incident (created through either Kinetic SR or the Requester Console)
would be taken to the Incident form and their ticket after logging on via LDAP,
but could then click on "Search" on that same form and see EVERY INCIDENT that
existed for the entire customer company!!!  That was a non-starter with our
information security folks, as well as all of the IT staffs.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/