Hi All,

Remedy 7.1 p5

I'm wondering if there is something akin to an "eval" function that would take
a string with embedded field references and then evaluate it at will.  Let me
give you an example of what I'd like to do.  Maybe there's an easy way to do it.

So, we have some custom notifications that I want to improve, and as part of
that, I want to make the notification text configurable (i.e., stored in a
form) rather than being hardcoded into the notification workflow.  So, I'd like
to have a form that contains the various notifications including who they go to
and the text of the notification including field references (something like
"This is my notif: $\Some Field Ref$").  Then, when it comes time to send the
notification, on the form that that notification event is being triggered on, I
would pull the notification text onto the current form, do an "eval" so that
the field references get substituted in the context of the current form, and
then pass the final text off to a form that does the actual notification
processing (i.e., splitting up a list of recipients into individual recipients
and sending the e-mail to each of them individually).  Does that make sense?  I
know that the notification subsystem in ITSM does something akin to this, but
it's implemented strictly by set fields actions that do a search and replace of
each field reference supported, and I'd prefer not to go that route.

If this makes it clearer, this is kind of the flow of events I envision:

1)      Custom notification event triggered on Incident form

2)      Pull notification text from notification configuration form onto hidden
field on Incident form

3)      Substitute all field references in the notification text with the
values of the fields from the Incident form

4)      Push the resultant notification text off to notification processing
form that does the actual work of notifying everyone

Does that make sense?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lyle

copies of the original message.