Hi Lyle - just thinking outside the box here. You could always create a new
database table (external to AR System). Create a view form of this table. Then
on this form, you can store all your records here. That would prevent your
$Value$ being converted into "1234" for instance. So this is the way it would
work:

 1.  Custom notification event triggered on Incident form

2.       Pull notification text from notification configuration form onto
hidden field on Incident form

Your notification text would consist of fields similar to the following "Dear
$Customer Full Name$, your call has been assigned to $Assignee$"

3.       Substitute all field references in the notification text with the
values of the fields from the Incident form

This would happen by default. As long as the $Customer Full Name$ and
$Assignee$ fields existed on the Incident form, then they would be replaced
with the relevant field values.

4.       Push the resultant notification text off to notification processing
form that does the actual work of notifying everyone

This would be OOB functionality.

As I said, this is  thinking outside the box, so there may be some issues. What
I haven't tried to do is Submit a record in a view form using a $Reference$.
Does AR System try and expand the $Reference$. If it does, then you would need
to write workflow to create a new entry using SQL rather than AR System.

Does this sound like it could work?

Thanks,

Gavin Coleman
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Computacenter (UK) Ltd
Services & Solutions
Hatfield Avenue
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9TW, United Kingdom
T: +44 (0) 1707 631662
E: gavin.cole...@computacenter.com<mailto:gavin.cole...@computacenter.com>