** Frank,

I've not experimented with compressing the traffic between the mid-tier and the AR server, just between the mid-tier and the desktop. I think in your case turning on compression would help if you leave the mid-tier distant from the browser but might not even be noticed if the mid-tier is in the same building or campus as the user desktops.

Turning on compression for tomcat can be done by editing the server.xml file. That's in /etc/tomcat5 on most Linuxes, also could be in a cof directory. The default server.xml contains instructions in the comments, or contact me off list if you get stuck...

Doug