From:         Tim Palmer <tpal...@aholdusa.com>
Date:         Tue, 4 May 2010 10:03:59
To: <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: UNIX to Windows Remedy Migration

I've done this migration about 5 or 6 years ago.  In my opinion that was
the best decision my company made at that time.  And yes I'm bias to SQL
server database.  The easiest option is to use AR Import to migrate your
data to the new platform.  Hopefully you have a programmer who can write
you some windows scripts to run these imports for you.  The smaller forms
you can do a full copy and the larger forms it will run based on a date
range.  These windows scripts can be set to run at night so you don't have
to watch it and it will not impact your current production during peak
hours.  Make sure to have some sort of data integrity check to validate all
data was migrated over.

Thanks,

Timothy Palmer

             Ex Soundgarden
             <thewallstre...@y
             AHOO.COM>                                                  To
             Sent by: "Action          arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
             Request System                                             cc
             discussion
             list(ARSList)"                                        Subject
             <arsl...@arslist.         UNIX to Windows Remedy Migration

             05/04/2010 02:36
             AM

             Please respond to
             arsl...@arslist.o
                    RG

**

 Hi ARSListers!
 We're currently planning to migrate existing Remedy environment in Sun
 Solaris to Windows Server. Below is the current system information:

 ARS 7.0.1 p10 running on Sun Solaris 10
 Oracle 10g running on the same server
 Mid-tier 7.0.1 patch 6 running on MS Windows Server 2003
 Memory size 8GB
 4 UltraSPARC-IIIi virtual processors each running on 1.6GHz
 No ITSM applications installed. AR System is used for in-house developed
 applications (consisting of 1052 forms).
 average of 60-70 concurrent users. 600 registered users

 Initial possible scenario I’m currently looking at 2 options below:

 1.Upgrade Remedy Server to latest version, purchase new hardware, and use
 the same platform (Solaris 10) .

 OR

 2. Full migration to Windows Server 2008, including the database migration
 to SQL Server 2008. This is to reduce the cost of our support and
 maintenance for the servers

 Please give me any advice if what option is the best to implement. I’m
 really keen on just using the same platform (Solaris) but we currently
 don’t have any Solaris/Oracle support which pretty much led us to looking
 at the Windows migration. If you can list all the pros and cons on doing
 any of the options, that will surely help me.

 In addition to that, may I know if anyone here has any experiences
 migrating from Unix to Windows environment recently or in the past? If you
 can let me know your success stories (and migration strategy), it would be
 greatly appreciated.

 Any good inputs will be appreciated.
 Regards...
 Gabud

_attend WWRUG10 www.wwrug.com  ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are"_
This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is
proprietary to Ahold and/or its subsidiaries (Ahold) or otherwise
confidential or legally privileged.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender by reply, and delete all
copies of this message and any attachments.  If you are the intended
recipient you may use the information contained in this message and
any files attached to this message only as authorized by Ahold.
Files attached to this message may only be transmitted using secure
systems and appropriate means of encryption, and must be secured
using the same level of password and security protection with which
the file was provided to you.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination
or disclosure of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited.