From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Smith, Ron [TBC]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:45 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: IIS config being corrupted

We have two brand new Win 2003 VMWare instances that serve as our
Midtier servers.  We are running version 6.3 Patch 21 of both Midtier
and AR server.  These were brought up in January, one for our Production
environment and one for our Development environment.  Back in April, our
Production servers IIS configuration became corrupt.  It would not start
back up.  In the event logs, we saw that it was a slow degradation
starting a 7-10 days prior, where it began having to restart IIS.  After
that period, IIS would no longer start up and our users got the error of
Service Unavailable.  We swapped our Dev server into Prod, and rebuilt
the old Prod server into the new Dev server.  Another 6 weeks go by and
the new Prod Server had the same issue, completely shutting down on
Memorial day.  So we swapped out the servers again, taking the Dev
server and making it the Prod server.  I have a gut feeling that we will
see this again.  The previous servers were running Windows 2000, and ran
flawlessly for 5 years.  We are tentatively upgrading later this year,
but I really do not want to go through this exercise  every 6 weeks
until we finally have them upgraded.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior?

Thanks in advance,

Ron Smith
Remedy/Web Developer
Providence Health & Services OR
ron.sm...@providence.org
503-216-7866

This message is intended for the sole use of the addressee, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are
hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to
anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you
have received this message in error, please immediately advise the
sender by reply email and delete this message.

_______