Dear arslisters,

Loooooonnggg time lurker here, infrequent poster; needed to plug into the
collective on this one.

Goal:
Determine when the user issues a QBE search.

Customer Need:
Recently added Oracle to the application mix and user's are having trouble
remembering it is case sensitive.  We store all data in uppercase...they
are entering queries in lower-case.

Not viable solution
User .... caps lock....can't seem to get them to realize this simple
solution
Oracle case insensitive....we've been told this isn't an option at this
time.  I'm not the export nor responsible party.  Plus this turned out to
be a tricky one we wanted to figure out.

ARS Platform
ARS 7.1 p009
SQL Server on Window 2003 and up
Oracle 10g on Solaris 5
Fat Client and Mid Tier in play; both at p009

Custom Application GUI
Our Application Start control panel allows the user to run stored queries.
We utilize the EXTERNAL feature in a Window Open Modify action to process
the query and return results in Modify mode.  We also allow them to open
the form in a regular search window.

What I thought was simple....just execute at On Search moment....from
search mode.

However, our App Start stored query approach also processes through an On
Search moment and we don't want to run this uppercase helper ALL the time;
just from Ad Hoc QBE query.

What I have discovered:
Window Open Modify does not allow you to pass anything through to next
window.
Adding QueryBar (1005) field is detectable from an Active Link, when using
EXTERNAL doesn't pass the query through the QueryBar(1005) field object.

1st approach, tag a field when the form is opened from our App Start
control panel and puts them in search mode, on search check tagged field
for value; works great until the user performs a Clear All

2nd approach, Active Link execute On Search where Query Bar is Null.  works
great for QBE from search mode, but also runs from App Start Control Panel
stored query design, so violates our development goal of only executing
from Ad Hoc QBE Query.  In reality, I did determine that this is really
only setting a lot of null fields to uppercase...but the less processing
the better.

3rd approach, check to see an arslister has determined how to detect usage
of EXTERNAL at On Search moment or better yet...has a better idea

If I can determine EXTERNAL usage, I can factor out the App Start stored
query (EXTERNAL not null) and I can detect when the user is performing a
QBE only search (QueryBar is null).

Your help is appreciated.

Regards,
Chad Whilding
Engineer
CSC

3725 Pentagon Blvd., Beavercreek, OH  45431-1706
North American Public Sector | p: +1-937.320-6342 | f:+1-937-320-???? |
cwhild...@csc.com | www.csc.com

delivery.
purpose.