I started out testing 7.5 on 2008 R2 and there just seemed to be too many
random permissions issues with the ARS and applications installers.  I don't
think they were designed to run on 2008 and they worked better on 2003.  The
7.5 licensing problem, however, was completely different and fixable as I
recall. The support tech working my issue now is the same one I reported the
problem with 7.5 to, something like a year ago.  Anyway, I reverted the servers
to 2003 and had far less problems, and then upgraded ARS/ITSM when 7.6.03 came
out but remained on 2003 (always Enterprise x64 - some were R2 in my server
group tests).

Since the 7.6.03 Stack Installer came out exclusively for 2008 R2, I _assumed_
that 7.6.03 had been developed and tested on 2008 R2, not 2003, and that it
would be safe to move the servers to 2008 R2 (the SQL Server has remained on
2008 throughout all of this).  Either I was mistaken, or the problem I am
seeing is unique to Dell hardware (all previous and current production is on HP
servers) and only under 2008 R2, not 2003.  I figure that there will be a lot
of finger pointing (Dell versus Microsoft versus BMC) as to who the real
culprit is here, so 'since ARS 7.6.03 does not properly support 2008 R2' may be
too broad a statement; you may have no problem at all on different hardware,
especially if Windows has identified the NICs in the same order as the BIOS.  I
do have one 2008 R2 server where that did happen, and the snmp.exe utility used
by ARS 7.6.03 appears to select the correct NIC, but of course that was the box
I had spec'd out for mid-tier, not one of the ARS servers... they are both
wrong.

Again, you may be fine, but this looks like a mouse trap where you could
install and license 7.6.03 on a 2003 server, and if you upgraded the server OS
later to 2008 R2 (something I NEVER do - I build them fresh every time) the
license could conceivably stop working without any other factor changing.  That
is basically what has happened to me, although the ARS is a new install of
exactly the same distribution on the same machine, with ONLY the OS changing.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/