I'm still working on it, so I can't comment on the overall success,
but I can report that I got a clean install of the stack.
I started out trying to install on a 2008R2 Core server but due to the
intricacies of "core" installations, I decided to go with 2008
Standard instead.
I ended up running the installer twice and got clean results each
time. Each time it ran in a couple of hours -- much faster than I
actually expected.

My setup is as follows:
   VMware Server Version 2.0.2 Build 203138
   Windows 2008 x64 Standard,without Hyper-V, SP 2, all current patches applied

 VM Settings:
   Initial RAM: 5G
   E5405@2.0 GHz (2 procs)
   Final Disk used 27.98 of 60G allocated

   SQLServer 2008

After the install I backed the memory down to 4G. It runs on the slow
side and is constantly running at 95-98% memory used, but it is
sufficient for a sandbox environment.

I am still working through developing our migration plan.
So far, I still feel like migration is the right choice for us, rather
than rolling the dice on an upgrade in place.

Juan Ingles