Mark,

When you write code, you have to write to and link to a given version of the
API.  That version has a specific
set of calls, with specific parameters, with specific definitions.  A different
version of the API may have
different calls and different parameters and different definitions.

When 7.5 was developed, we linked to the Oracle 10gR2 API  (Well, if the
compatibility matrix says that is
the version that is it, I don't know otherwise myself).  So, we are tied to
that definition.

Now, within the API, that api may be compatible (and it is) with many versions
of Oracle.  So, using that API,
you can talk with Oracle 10g, 11g, and other versions as well.

So, you can have any version of Oracle that is compatible with the 10gR2 API,
but we do need the 10gR2 API
installed as that is the interface we are using.  The API is part of the Oracle
client hence the version of the
oracle client that must be installed.

We don't have permission to redistribute Oracle binaries or libraries so we
have to have you put them in
place.

Now, we just link to the Oracle libraries.  IF there is a later version (or
earlier version) that has EVERY call
we need to make, the exact same parameters as the ones we expect with the exact
same definition and
same limits and same everything else and the same name for every procedure that
is called, then in theory
everything would work.  But, we cannot gaurantee that.  We KNOW that we work
against the definition of
the client in 10gR2 as that is what we link and test with.  You may get odd and
suprising errors using another
version of the client.

Since you can have this version of the client for any Oracle installation of
10g or later, it is simply safest to
have that specific client installed or best compatibility and least chance of
oddity.  BMC supports things
tied to that version of the client and does not gaurantee what may work or not
with any other version of the
client.

Really, this is no different from if you have a 7.6.3 mid-tier, you need 7.6.3
API libraries installed with the
mid-tier.  This is regardless of whether the mid-tier is talking with a 7.6.3,
7.5, 6.3, 9.4, or whatever version of
the AR System server.

I hope this helps,

Doug Mueller