Diane,

This may be tricky, but it's not impossible.

If you deleted the tab *accidently*, you probably would have only deleted it
from one view. The tab may still be present in other views of the form.  Look
at other views and see it you can find the tab first. If it is in another view,
you should be able to add it back into the original view.

Next, if you deleted just the tab, the fields that were on the tab are still
part of your form, but not associated with the current view anymore. You can
re-add the tab to the view, then re-add the fields to the view, then drag the
fields onto the tab after you add them back into the main view.

if the tab is really missing from all the views you should recreate it with the
same field ID number. Adding the tab is easy. Finding the field ID number, not
so much.

If you have workflow that hid or revealed the tab, or changed any
characteristics of it like color or labels, that workflow is still present and
will show you the database ID number of the field it was changing.  When you
recreate the tab change the database field ID to match the number in your
now-orphaned workflow, save, and things should be good as new.

If you're lucky, you at some point used Migrator or exported a backup copy of
the form, and can look up the database ID of the tab in one of the backup files
it has left behind. DEF files are plain text, and you can read them with
something like Notepad or vi or gVim. Takes a little getting used to, but
doable.

If you're REALLY lucky, you did this only on your development server, and the
copy in production still exists. Look there for the field ID.

And if you're feeling truly adventurous you can try to recreate the tab by
guessing at the field ID it used to have. A new field would have been created
with a field ID one higher than the highest field ID in use at the time, and
the field ID numbers are assigned consecutively. Note there are some special
ranges for trim fields like tabs and buttons, but if you sort out the list of
field ID's (Dev studio, properties in upper right corner, show list view) you
should find a gap in the number sequence.

Sigh.... it is easier to do this if one has made this mistake before :-). Never
mind how I know this.

Doug

On Feb 28, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Meek, Diane wrote:

> Accidently deleted a tab we had created on the helpdesk form and I am
> wondering if there is way to recover just the tab itself.
>
> Diane

Doug

--
Doug Blair