Easy - don't ask them for what customizations they want.  Don't even
suggest it.

We have pretty rigidly adapted the position of "Document your business
needs"  For example, a case might need XYZ pieces of information
registered to meet contractual obligations..

Then we do everything we can to use base functionality to fulfill those
needs. Sometimes it is not possible and needs  an integration (which we
do not consider a customization as long as base app code isn't touched).

If a business need can not be fulfilled then return the list to them and
ask them to prioritize it as "nice to have", "important", etc - and only
then tell them you may need to customize but first you want to
investigate changing their business processes - and see if you can
actually make the work with the app in a reasonable way. Many times you
can - often you can't.

We managed to get a "wishlist" of 200+ customizations and tweaks down to
about 10 doing this on our latest go-round of upgrades.

B.