Update. We have been working on this problem continuously since this post.
Remedy Support has not come up with anything despite asking for many logs.
On the production server, we've switched from having no assigned ip address,
to port 2020. After much research and observation using tools such
as netstat, we've think we at least understand a little more about what is
going on:

1) the issue never occurs when running the Remedy client on the Remedy
Server itself. It also
does not seem to occur in the server room itself, when my laptop running
client is plugged into
the same switch.

2) the client PC running the remedy client software seems to experience the
delay after EXACTLY
one hour, possibly indicating that something, somewhere is timing out, after
60 minutes.

While the Remedy server port is now always 2020, the client seems to pick a
random port
for its side of the connection (e.g. 5617), and right after an hour, when
the server and client
try to re-connect as you press the button doing something in the client, the
spinning donut
or "hang" appears to be due to the client re-negotiating this link...
because immediately after
the donut disappears, there is a new port on the client side (e.g. 5623).
Is there a way to
permanently set the outgoing port on the client? This could help, or at
least force a real
timeout errror to show up in the logs,  if that original port really did get
shut off.

3) we have one smart user who shared with us that he sets "auto-refresh" in
his Remedy
client to avoid the problem. We don't want to recommend this to all users,
since this could
work but create an extra load on the database. Right now our security
network person
is trying to find out if the Palo Alto Networks firewall has some inbuilt
timeout after 60
minutes that could be the root of the problem.

Thanks for any comments, advice, or sharing about your similar experience.