From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Brian Pancia
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 10:12 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Age old debate - categorizations

**

Rick - very interesting.  I have a situation right now where there is huge
debate on what to track in each of the apps.  Do requests belong in Incident
Management?  The debate in this situation is around password resets.  This
organization looks at them as requests and currently put them in the Change
Management application.  I personally would put them in the Incident
Management application.  The question would be are there requests that
belong in the Incident Management app versus the Change Management app
versus Work Orders?  What about Event Management?  High CPU or memory
utilization probably does not cause service disruption and may or may not be
a Problem if it is only 1 occurrence that was caused by something like a
large import of data into a database.  What about Security Incident
Handling?  Security events typically start of as a request to investigate
some type of suspicious activity.  Once the investigation is complete it is
then determined whether it is an Incident or not.  Which app would this
start off in?

So this brings up a bit of a dilemma when defining op cats.  If we look at
just the Incident Management application what do we track in there?  If we
just track incidents then why under Incident Type is there "User Service
Request"?  These are some of the questions I have faced from customers when
defining op cats.