Good Question...

They seem to like to deal only with the academic generalities and
refuse to roll up their sleeves and do the real work.
I was fortunate do my ITIL Masters with one of the original founders
of ITIL.  He intimated that their goal was to provide
a blueprint with general guidelines that could be adapted to various
organizations; therefore, to actually get into the
details would deter from their "prime directive"; ergo, organizations
like "Pink Elephant" and guidelines like "Pink Verify".

Maybe in time as ITIL V3 matures - there will be more conclusive
guidelines.