From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 10:57 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Server 2008 R2

**

Almost all of your problems will be from the tighter permissions, especially
if you are mixing domain accounts with local accounts or using domain
accounts to run your services.  Expect to have to apply explicit permissions
to folders for the AR Server service account and the tomcat service account
or they will be unable to do simple things like update the ar.cfg file!
This applies to BMC folders, Tomcat, maybe even Java folders if you have
trouble getting the plugins to run.  The service accounts have to be local
admins or power user group members, AND get explicit access to the folders.
Make a C:\Home folder with full permissions for those accounts, and force
User, Import, DevStudio to use it for their workspaces or you will be
looking for files deep in the \user directory structures depending on how
you are logged in.

If you use MAPI with Outlook for AREMail you are in for some fun; I never
saw that service work properly on 2008 R2 unless you had a current logged-in
session open with the email service user account, and started the service
while logged in as that user.  Logging out killed it (the service kept
running but could no longer access mail via MAP).  It was one of the main
reasons that we switched to SMTP instead (and stayed that way even after
reverting to 2003 R2 due to alarmpoint).

Hopefully you are not using AlarmPoint; it is NOT supported on 2008/2008 R2,
especially the java client that must reside on the AR Server.  It is a moot
point - even an onsite visit has failed to get Alarmpoint working with our
ITSM 7.6.04.01 system, which we kept on 2003 R2 specifically to support that
product.

The most annoying change in 2008 R2 is the local firewall; it takes far more
work in 2008 R2 versus 2003 R2 to set up anything for programs or ports; far
more knobs to turn to get the same effect.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/