LJ,

Having worked some with SharePoint, I've seen how it could be advantageous to
build an ITSM suite completely on that platform rather than using AR System.
There are even tools that can be used within Visio to make workflow.  Granted,
to do the really complex stuff you need to be a .NET developer, but I've seen
the direction Microsoft has been trying to push into and it's what AR System
used to be geared for -- letting non-programmers quickly build enterprise
applications.  The only downside I see is that if you give enough people
permissions to build things, I.T. will end up with the problem that Access
caused where non-I.T. people made unwieldy databases with impractical forms
that they then tell us to support.  At least SharePoint has a permissions
model.  In any case, I think that it does great by allowing the full gamut of
allowing end users to create simple forms and workflow, while highly skilled
.NET developers can create highly complex, feature rich applications.

Unfortunately, Sharepoint itself is not cross-platform so it wouldn't work for
BMC, but I'm really surprised that Microsoft hasn't released more applications
that sit on top of Sharepoint at this time.  The only OOtB Sharepoint based
application I've used has been Project Web Access, but even that requires you
to build some of your own stuff and use Microsoft Project in order to interact
with the schedule.  Still, I've seen some good third party stuff, and I think
Sharepoint is probably a great tool to learn as a side project for anyone that
prefers to focus on the development aspect of Remedy rather than ITSM
administration.

This may sound like I'm a big fan of Microsoft, which I'm not, but I am
impressed that they turned what started out as essentially web-based blog
software into a diverse platform for web sites and applications.  I just wish
something similar that was cross platform and extremely popular existed.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson