If you are running out of memory with a 32-bit jvm, you need to move
to a 64-bit jvm.  This happens with the midtier when the size of your
concurrent user base exceeds a certain number.  Moving to 64-bit will
not help performance in any way by the mere virtue of moving to
64-bit.  64-bit is all about the memory.  You can increase performance
by increasing the time between GC cycles, you will pick up some
performance there.  There are also JVM parameters that can help with
the performance of 64-bit JVM's.

https://wikis.oracle.com/display/HotSpotInternals/CompressedOops

Axton Grams