From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:28 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Server 'Alive' check

**

I am usually satisfied with watching the AR System Email Messages form from
the User Tool - I keep an open session on a work desktop that refreshes an
open query for Send Message = "Yes" every 5 minutes, and another open query
for Message Type = "Outgoing" where I can refresh to see all outbound
traffic.  If I remote in to look at it and see a miscellaneous tli error
dialog, SOMETHING blocked the connection, at least momentarily, and I start
troubleshooting from there by clearing the dialog.

A method that requires even less effort is that I also have a folder in my
mailbox that gets copies of notifications to the central Helpdesk, where I
am an Associate Member.  If there is recent traffic (unread mail in that
folder), there isn't a problem.  Basically, if people are entering tickets
via one of the mid-tiers or Kinetic Request, and notifications (or
escalations) are going out, it's working. A corollary benefit of this is
that I see outage notifications and maintain an awareness of what kinds of
tickets are being entered by both support staff and customers.

That may not be what you are looking for, but it works for us.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/