Thank you all for the feedback. I should have also mentioned that modifying the records for "no reason" is really at the core of the issue, so the "modified by" field is a side-issue. Also, normalization versus denormalization-- it is confusing but as far as I understand it you would normally start with normalized data and then add denormalization for performance or, in this case, because that's what AR System encourages. That is my goal, to have a fully normalized data structure with the added denormalized data "on top".

So I'd like to try to run through what Ben has suggested here on an example, and see if I understand what he's saying.

Let's say I have a Problem Ticket form:
FirstName
LastName
UserID(ForeignKey)
ProblemInfo

And I have a User form with:
UserID(PrimaryKey)
FirstName
LastName

So if I follow Ben's suggestion I would add some logic on the Problem Ticket form to "diagnose" whether the Userinfo has changed instead of just arbitrarily doing a "set" operation for all records. So I create two display-only fields on Problem Ticket and set Disable Change Flag = True?

FirstName
LastName
UserID
ProblemInfo
ZTrigger (display only, disable change flag)
ZCompare (display only, disable change flag)

So my escalation can set ZTrigger = $timestamp$ to trigger the on-modify filters without actually modifying the record? Assuming that is technically possible, then I could have On-Modify filters that do the "diagnosis": Do a set-fields ZCompare = Firstname (from User Form). Then another filter w/ qual: If ZCompare != DB.FirstName, set-fields Firstname = ZCompare. Then do the same thing with LastName via a filter guide, I suppose.

Fred's suggestion of triggering updates on the source-side (User) actually seems to make the most sense, although David suggests that might be a performance problem. If a single update to a user record has to go update 5,000 records across multiple forms, that might be a problem. Although that could be changed to just run off-peak anyway via an escalation (but now you can't compare DB to TR and so you'd have to store previous values in extra fields, or a set a generic sync flag field? Doh!).

I think I must just have a tendency to try to keep workflow self-contained and not "creep" onto other forms. Actually, that is not the only reason, I just remembered that, quite often, we allow arbitrary input and then we want to link it later. For instance with the Problem Ticket we might take Firstname and Lastname before there is ever a User account, so UserID is NULL. The only way to resolve these is to have an escalation attempt to link it to the User record at a later time (via first and last name). So if Ben's suggestion works, that would be nice to avoid the excessive updates. I'm also thinking of another workflow where a form "waits" for a record to be created in another system. Right now I have an escalation trigger a modify to perform a "check" to see if that record has been created yet in a view form, and once it finds a match it moves on to the next task. Again that would be nice to avoid modify updates for just a "check".

I think I'm done rambling, thank you again I'll post back if I successfully can trigger the on-modify filters via an escalation without actually modifying the records using the tips Ben suggested.

Brien