Hi Roger,

I must disagree with your assertion.  There is no reason not to update
BMC_BaseElement - esp. if you want no auditing.  The WUT uses the API,
Import uses the API, AIE uses the API (albeit Merge, Submit, Modify -
begging the Q: "Why 3 calls?") and the WUT is an awfully hard way to
automate things J

I use Meta-Update often enough to update BE for data corrections etc. on
masses of data in many environments and across many releases.

I do mostly write to the BMC join to create or update because I generally
want the w/f to fire and the customers auditing to be effected.  But
sometimes I have to change things like submit dates etc. or make a whack of
ad-hoc corrections, and then I go through the chains of regular forms (by
querying the class hierarchy) with a Merge NoWorkflow.  That chain always
ends in BE J  I have also many times updated only BE for non-core field
changes.

Cheers

Ben Chernys
Senior Software Architect

Canada / Deutschland
Mobile:      +49 171 380 2329    GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email:       Ben.Chernys_AT_softwaretoolhouse.com
Web:          <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> www.softwaretoolhouse.com

Check out Software Tool House's free Diary Editor and out Freebies

Section for an ITSM 7.6.04 Forms and Fields spreadsheet.

Meta-Update, our premium ARS Data tool, lets you automate
your imports, migrations, in no time at all, without programming,
without staging forms, without merge workflow.
 <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/