Mark,

If some external system is creating a ticket on your ITSM form, you can
trigger your workflows using the Request ID second time onwards.

Ex :
First : The external System creates a Record in the form.
 >> Record is submitted and Request ID gets generated.
Second : The external System updates the above record (updates some field
say Status)
>> you can run your workflow based upon the status Change as you will have
the Request ID at this point of time.

Regards,
Rajesh