From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Joe Martin D'Souza
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:38 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Friday funny or not!

When I meant you get what you pay for, I meant both the customer as well as
BMC..

BMC has obviously cut corners to make support available at more affordable
prices in the face of rising costs of skilled labor in this continent and
continents like Europe and Australia.. The support model that spawns out of
this endeavor, is the most generic support plan they offer when you buy their
products..

However customer has other premium options or choices to choose from....

Do you want to take advantage of the generic low cost support plan, where you
might get a:
1) fresh out of university type agent talking to you, while
2) referencing text books and KB's while on the call with you,
3) and has been trained on the AR and its supporting products for a brief
period, who is assigned your ticket that gets routed to Asia???

OR

Are you willing and more importantly can you afford to pay top dollar for a
24*7 assigned site engineer who would pick up a call even at 2:00 AM in case of
emergency - who might be based somewhere in the US or Canada.. Or UK if you are
from that region.. I have worked with such support packages and am yet to get
assigned a site engineer who is out of Asia while I have been based in America.
I have mostly got Californians.. Most of these engineers, have worked with the
AR System and its applications in the past, and have a considerable amount of
experience on many other applications which include underlying databases, the
OS, web servers and what have you... Even if some of them are fairly new to the
AR System and its apps, they do tend to understand you better as language
problems is often the case of questioning the quality of support - not quite
the quality of resolution..

In all fairness, having lived in different parts of the world, I personally do
not see language as an issue.. Everyone in different parts of the world have
their preferences when it comes to languages.. While we find it hard to
understand them, believe it or not, as clearly as we may think we talk here,
they find it hard to understand us too.. Given a choice, they too might have
preferred their next ticket to be assigned from somewhere local so they could
understand their customer better..

Anyway coming back to the point of quality of support, if that really has a
high impact on your day to day business and again *more importantly*, if you
can afford to pay more, sure you can buy those premium support packages where
you have available local engineers assigned to you. There is even a package
where you can have *a specific* engineer assigned to you and in that, which I
think is the highest level of support, BMC sometimes even hires someone local
specifically to support you... I've heard that happen on at least one occasion
where a site paid like a zillion on support..

If affordability is an issue, it would just be like my case of - yeah I would
love to own and drive a 100 thousand dollar top of the line fancy stick shift
convertible with a V12 engine, but until I can afford that, I'm happy with my
V6 Mustang..

I am not for or against BMC's way of choosing to do things - looking at it in
their point if view, its perhaps the only way to keep the costs low enough to
make support affordable to some of us who are on the bottom of the food chain
and on a piggy bank budget, who can barely afford the products - leave alone
support.. It’s the way many other vendors are doing business too.. Its not just
BMC.. Look at most DB vendors - I wont take names.. Look at OS vendors.. Look
at even some of our personal banking support.. Where does it all come from..

I'm sure if we wanted we could ask our banks to give us local support if we
were willing to pay 100 bucks a month to maintain our accounts, and get no
interest paid on our accounts - like Swiss bank accounts..

Just letting you know there are those options.. For more details you might need
to talk to your sales engineer.. I used to work for a VAR way back in the days
so I know these things..

Joe

PS: Having said all this, I have come across a few support engineers, as
inexperienced and young as they might be, who really really know what they are
talking about and not just reading to you out of a previously written KB.. Use
the surveys at the end - and hopefully BMC would evaluate those, which could
help them educate some of their support in areas they are lacking.. If you feel
it was a language issue - let them know.. Be specific in letting them know
where they lacked.. There are language courses in India that I had heard of
where many companies train their employees so they could learn our accents
here.. Constructive criticism sometimes goes a long way in developing a model
you have been trying to build..