From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Jason Miller
Sent: June-13-12 20:30
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Migration from Solaris/Oracle to Windows/MSSQL

** For the data move there is also Meta-Update.  It isn't as free as
RRR|Chive but very flexible.  If you are moving like for like ITSM version
(you didn't mention the versions or if it is even ITSM) then  RRR|Chive will
do the trick.  If you need to massage data, relationships, CMDB classes,
roles and permission groups when going from an older version of ITSM to a
newer one the Meta-Update maybe worth it.

http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/product/SthMupd/index.html

No matter what using a tool that goes through the Remedy api is the way to
go.  If you did a the conversion at the db level that conversion will always
be held in question if problems arise down the road (aka that method is not
supported by BMC).

Jason

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Misi Mladoniczky <m...@rrr.se> wrote:

Hi,

Do a fresh install, import the definitions (maybe using Migrator).

But use RRR|Chive instead to move the data. It is faster and more robust
in this regard, and is designed to handle a high volume of records.

Documentation, no login required:
https://www.rrr.se/c/doc/rrrchive/?arslist

Download and configuration:
https://www.rrr.se/cgi/rrrchive/main?arslist

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Hi All,
>
> We're currently in the process of moving a Solaris/Oracle (11g) based
> system to a Windows/MSSQL (2012) environment. While using Migrator should
> absolutely work, the fastest way would be to just import the Oracle DB
> into the new MSSQL DB and we'd prefer that. The problem here is, that
> there are two providers in MSSQL to import data from Oracle databases and
> both don't manage to import all data completely and correctly. The ".net
> Framework Data Provider for Oracle" doesn't copy views, but manages to
> import all data, but the views would be required for the AR server to
> function correctly. The "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle" does copy
> views as well, but doesn't set the correct data types when creating tables
> and thus fails to import data after some time.
> The question is: has anyone performed a migration from Oracle to MSSQL by
> just importing the database to the MSSQL server? Or should we just stick
> with the Migrator for this matter?
>
> Regards
> Jan Hartung

> attend wwrug12 www.wwrug12.com ARSList: "Where the Answers Are"